Disconnecting the service and closing the account (Final Bill Request)

If you are moving out of your old premises registered in your name, you will need to disconnect the electricity, water, and municipality rate services by submitting an official request to disconnect the services and stop issuing monthly bills after issuing and settling the final bill in order to return the security deposit, if any.

This transaction will end the electricity and water services and request the final bill, so that your security deposit may be refunded after the settlement of final bill .


Step 1: Collect the Application

The Electricity, Water, Municipal Rates Agreement & Service Request application form is available on the authority's website by clicking he​​re

Step 2: Submit your request

  • Through e-Government portal Bahrain.bh
  • Book and appointment through the Skiplino app for companies and commercial establishments. (Service Disconnects)

Service application requirements:

  • A copy of the smart card reading or a copy of both sides
  • Electricity, Water and Municipality Rate form in case of booking an appointment through the Skiplino app for companies and commercial establishments

Estimated Delivery Duration:

  • 2 Working days​


Step 3:  Notification

  • It is required to arrange access to the meter(s) & services in order for the inspector to proceed with the disconnection,. Otherwise the disconnection request is considered cancelled and the monthly bills shall continue to be issued under the name of the customer (request holder).


  • The final bill will be sent to your e-mail and you will receive a text message on your mobile phone containing the amount of the final bill.

Step 4:  Final Bill Settlement

You can settle the final bill through the available payment channels, clic​k  here, after deducting it from the value of the security deposit, if any.

Step 5:  Security Deposit Refund

Fill out the deposit refund form, attach the required documents and submit it by booking an appointment through Skiplino app.

Application forms, Click Here

For more information about this service, view the frequently asked questions