Electricity and water services are public utilities supplied after agreement to the laws and regulations enforced by the Electricity and Water Authority (EWA) and cannot be used without being charged as calculated by the meters. To exploit or misuse these services is a crime and is punishable by the laws in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Connecting and using electricity / water without a formal justification and the existence of meter reading differences.
- Connecting and using of electricity / water without formal justification and bypassing the meter.
- Connecting and using electricity by unsafe and unauthorized means.
- Connecting and using electricity and water without formal justification but with unofficial connection fuse.
- Tampering and compromising the natural rotation of the electricity or water meter to affect its natural rotation.
- Supplying electricity or water to other buildings without formal justification.
- Connecting and using electricity before meter installation. (this is a crime)
- Tampering and compromising the installations affecting the public safety and the safety of the main network. (this is a crime)
Violations Process Procedures
When a violation is found and documented by EWA representatives, the service will be disconnected immediately upon discovery. The violation will be referred to EWA officials to take the administrative actions required to collect payment of the administrative fees and arrange the signing of a pledge not to repeat the violation. In addition, payment of any electricity / water usage cost as a result of the violation is required.
In some cases, the usage is being estimated according to the size of the loads, connections, the time period and type of usage, especially in those cases where the service is being used bypassing the meter. Cases which are classified as crimes are referred to the legal authorities.